Wednesday 15 April 2009

British Go Congress

This year's BGC took place in the Roman city of Chester. As usual there were about 50 players. I entered at 8kyu, with my then KGS grade at [6k?] (subsequently I've played a few really shoddy games on-line and my grade has dropped). I won 3-3 which was a decent performance. One game I won by resignation after capturing a big group, another by 50 points or so and another by 0.5 point! The games I lost were by resignation, by about 30 points and by about 20 points (these two were even games against 5/6 kyu players so I didn't feel too bad). The time limits were quite short (50 minutes), and I felt a little uncomfortable with that. Here is a picture of the opponent that beat me by 30 points:



On Sunday I nipped out and hand a brief look at the cathedral which was very beautiful. There are many stain-glass windows there - some of them very modern! Here's one which is modern but in a traditional style:



During the AGM it was noted that the membership levels in the BGA are dropping. I asked if anyone has ever tried getting the national press to cover Go - even just the odd Tsumego in their puzzle columns would do - and apparently people have. Nevertheless I think it might be worth approaching them again... to be continued.

No comments: